A former rail system that has been converted to a spectacular bike path that stretches 22 miles and passes through the village center of Orleans and through the towns of Dennis, Harwich, Brewster, Eastham and Wellfleet. Stop for a swim or get some lunch on your biking adventure. From Orleans the trail stretches west to Dennis and North to Wellfleet. Parking is available in Orleans in the Village Center on Old Colony Way.
Rail Trail Map
Offers an eight mile bike path that connects to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. At the Park you will find picnic areas and campsites. Biking experience is hilly with lovely scenery including our famous kettle ponds.
Massachusetts Bicycle Laws
- When driving your Bike you are a vehicle and you must obey all traffic laws, signs and traffic lights.
- You must drive on the Right side of the road.
- You must give pedestrians the Right of Way and given an audible signal (Horn/Bell) or say “Passing Left” or “Passing Right”.
- You must drive single file.
- For your safety, always wear a bike helmet.
Your bike must have:
- Working brakes.
- A white headlight and a red taillight on for night riding and reflectors on the pedals, both wheels, and at the front and rear.
- You must use hand signals to let people know you plan to stop or turn:
- Left: To make a left turn extend left arm straight out to the side
- Right: To make a right turn bend left arm in an upward position or extend your right arm straight out to the side.
- Stop: To stop extend your left arm in a downward motion.
Information provided by: Orleans Bike and Walkways Committee, Orleans Town Hall, 19 School Rd. Orleans, MA 02653, 508-240-3700